There are a couple of companies in our local user group who are using
someone else's VTL and they seem quite happy with it.
Will it work with BRMS? No.
Can they do a bare metal restore from it? No.
But they accept those limitations for a significantly lower price. That's
their business choice. At least one of these is somewhat active on this
list.