date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 00:07:51 -0500
from: Charles Wilt <charles.wilt@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Migrating IBM i database files to DB2 LUW

IBM Data Movement Toolkit?

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/data/library/techarticle/dm-0906datamovement/

Charles

That toolkit sounds like a good idea to check out, if you're budget can
handle it.

I'd probably do this, if the target turns out to be a Windows server, but
it requires some MS Access skill:

- Install Microsoft Access on the target DB2 on Windows server.
- Create an ODBC connection to the source DB2 on i system database.
- Create a local ODBC connection to the target, local DB2 for Windows
database.
- Use Access to create a set of ODBC Linked Tables for all the tables in
your source database schema(s). You can run this step in bulk in Access.
- Use IBM i Navigator "Generate SQL" feature to generate all the SQL to
create all your target database schema objects.
- Run the Navigator generated SQL script(s) on the DB2 for Windows
server to create your target database objects.
- Use Access to create a set of ODBC Linked Tables for all the tables in
your target database schema(s). You can run this step in bulk in Access.
- Using Access, for each table, using VBA, generate and execute an SQL
statement to:
- insert into TARGET_LINKED_TABLE select * from SOURCE_LINKED_TABLE
- In this respect, MS Access can work like 3 part SQL does on the IBM
i database to transparently transfer data across systems.
- I doubt the code to do this step would exceed about 30 lines of VBA
code to migrate the entire database.
- I anticipate that would work extremely well, if your database doesn't
have special columns like LOBs. Special columns like that might give you
some grief, but that's just a guess on my part.

I wouldn't use MS Access to build an industrial strength, production grade
application, but it works very well as conduit between databases for a task
like a migration, if the network connection is fast to each database. If
the network connection is slow to either database (i.e. over a WAN), I
probably wouldn't use this technique, unless the database was a small one.

Mike