On 30-Oct-2015 12:32 -0500, Jerry Draper wrote:
On 10/29/2015 10:52 AM, CRPence wrote:
On 29-Oct-2015 12:35 -0500, Jerry Draper wrote:
In a recent DR simulation we restored some libraries with lots
of DDM files.

The target system of the DDM files was NOT on the network as
this was a simulation.

The restore operation of each file failed after a timeout of 315
seconds.

There are many, many DDM files so at 12/hour we weren't getting
anywhere fast.

There are no break messages so you only find out after wondering
why the restore is taking so long.

How can this be managed so we can restore the files and NOT
validate the remote system?

What is the actual information from a spooled joblog? Just a SWAG,
that [the messaging in the joblog will reveal that] the timeout is
nothing to do with contacting a remote system, and instead is a
functional issue with the *DBXREF.

FILE DDMRTNFLAG not restored to DDMSOURCE.
Dequeue operation not satisfied in 315 seconds for queue &1
<<SNIP>>

Sadly, such a copy\paste of the messages [apparently taken from a command-entry window] gives no context. So although I might infer correctly from what was given, that the first is the error CPF3706 and that the second is msg MCH5801, that by itself is not meaningful.

There is too little meaning, because I have no idea what was the code that issued the error nor to what code the error was directed; i.e. the context, aside from knowing the request, noted as being a Restore Library (RSTLIB). The spooled joblog [DSPJOBLOG OUTPUT(*PRINT) of the job running with LOG(4 0 *SECLVL)] gives much additional necessary context. Note: I expect that the order of the two messages shown, are reversed, such that the second shown is actually the error precipitating the next [but snipped] error, and that what precipitated the first error shown was not included in the copy\paste output.

Even without the context revealed, I am [somewhat more] confident that the origin of the issue is likely to be a failed *DBXREF; that until the *DBXREF functional issue is resolved, the ability to perform generic /object/ operations on DDM Files will exhibit the same timeout error. And there will be other operations that would fail instead with an error indicating an issue with the *DBXREF, similarly exhibiting a timeout, or even possibly to hang indefinitely awaiting feedback via the internal\temporary queue that will never arrive given the background QDBSRVXR job is not [properly] operational. Note: An attempt made to resolve a functional issue with the *DBXREF by using a request to Reclaim Storage (RCLSTG) that includes the *DBXREF [thus similarly use of the Reclaim Database Cross-Reference (RCLDBXREF)] should *not* be done, unless the functional issue has been investigated and known to be resolved by that request; the reason is, that in order for the reclaim request to be functional, the *DBXREF must either be functional or either expected-to-become or known-will-become functional rather than possibly just exacerbate or perpetuate the problem.