Jim (and Rob):

AFAIK, QNTC is not a "native" IFS file system, in the sense that QSYS.LIB, QDLS, the "/" (root) or "/QOpenSys" file systems are true IFS file systems totally managed by IBM i (nee OS/400). QNTC is a Windows NT filesystem that is managed and controlled by a separate operating system, namely Windows 2012 Server, or Windows 2008 Server, or Windows 2003 server, or Windows NT server, running on an IXS card or on a separate PC attached to the IBM iSeries via an IXA card or to a POWER system via a high-speed link (uses iSCSI "under the covers").

So, theSAV and RST commands do not really know how to save or restore objects (files) within that (non-native) file system -- only Windows backup software knows how to do that.

I believe when you run a full GO SAVE option 21 back-up, or a SAV of the whole IFS, as you show below, you do actually get a "snap-shot" of the virtual disk (*NWS) that is hosting the QNTC file system ... but nowadays, QNTC can also be connecting to some other "instance" of Windows running "elsewhere' with its own disk drives, etc. ...

In any case, I think that is the primary reason you do not see QNTC stuff get "saved" by the SAV command, because then a subsequent RST would not know what to do with it ...

It is similar to what happens when you do a full save on the "host" or primary LPAR, it will back-up and save the *NWS spaces of all of the virtual disk for any "guest" LPARs hosted by that instance of IBM i ... But, you have no way to "drill down" into those spaces to restore individual objects; your only recourse, if you did not run separate GO SAVE option 21 or equivalent, within each guest LPAR, would be to restore "the whole thing" -- kind of like the old SAVSTG command that existed prior to V6R1.

Does that help?

Mark S. Waterbury

> On 10/22/2015 3:32 PM, Jim Franz wrote:
If it is not specified in the omit of SAV, what stops it?
I've spent a while looking for the definitive statement...
I found where I can back up a /QNTC with SAV with some setup.

SAV DEV('/QSYS.LIB/TAP01.DEVD')
OBJ(('/*') ('/QSYS.LIB' *OMIT) ('/QDLS' *OMIT))

Jim