On 22-Oct-2015 11:42 -0500, Kevin Bucknum wrote:
I'm at 33 on 7.1. As soon as all my time out is over, I'm going to
catch up with TR's and the DB group PTFs.

I eventually found that the APAR SE60131 was used to provide the SYSTOOLS.GROUP_PTF_CURRENCY VIEW, for both IBM i 7.1 and IBM i 7.2. Two links [I do not know why they continue do so, but] to two different copies of effectively the same document:
[http://m.ibm.com/http/www-912.ibm.com/n_dir/nas4apar.nsf/ALLAPARS/SE60131]
[http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas28e1a51e4d83a079686257d4b003c8ab5]

What is most important however, is that the PTF Cover Letter SI54615 alludes how the objects are intended to be created, but specifically reveals how, when done interactively\immediately; wade through this entire post for something more about that. But what that means is, if the origin of the problem is some inability of the CREATE VIEW [instead of an issue caused by post-IPL activation of the PTF], then that error can be exposed by temporarily removing the PTF, then re-applying the PTF; but that Apply PTF (APYPTF) request must be done *both* interactively and with *IMMED apply-scheduling instead of *DELAYED scheduling which typically would occur with general [cumulative and fixpack] maintenance.

From R710 PTF SI54615 "OSP-DB ADD SYSTOOLS/GROUP_PTF_CURRENCY VIEW"
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUPERSEDED PTF SI41819 :

When applying this PTF in immediate mode will result in exit
program processing that will drop and recreate DB2 for i supplied
objects in QSYS2, SYSIBM and several other system libraries. The
exit program may not complete quickly. It is recommended that
when this PTF is applied in immediate mode, that application
which rely upon DB2 for i supplied objects are quiesced.

The following is just a bunch of research, no longer of much interest given the prior comments; some paraphrasing of a bit of what is included below is noted above, and the remainder is left here solely for the archives.

The SYSTOOLS.GROUP_PTF_CURRENCY VIEW is documented with the _notation_ "(7.2 only enhancement)" when reviewing "IBM i 7.2 - TR1 Enhancements" information [https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/IBM%20i%20Technology%20Updates/page/IBM%20i%207.2%20-%20TR1%20Enhancements], yet there is no such _notation_ when reviewing the "IBM i 7.1 - TR9 Enhancements" information [https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/IBM%20i%20Technology%20Updates/page/IBM%20i%207.1%20-%20TR9%20Enhancements].

Yet the 7.1 information from within the "DB2 for IBM i 2014 Group PTF schedule" link is located under a heading "Group 31 (TR9 timed enhancements)" despite documented as being associated with the DB Group PTF 32 that became available on 11/11/2014. And of course the previously provided link [https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/IBM%20i%20Technology%20Updates/page/DB2%20for%20i%20-%20Services] quite clearly shows effectively the same available from the DB2 Group PTF SF99701 Level 32.

So if the system is already at IBM i 7.1 with DB Group Level 33, I would really expect the VIEW to be there; i.e. most likely the "IBM maintenance of SYSTOOLS [that] includes periodically dropping and recreating the IBM supplied objects" must have failed. FWiW, depending on how the application of that /maintenance/ is effected, there may be a chance that some action performed immediately after an IPL applying that maintenance [e.g. RCLSTG] might have effectively /purged/ the work that would have /dropped and created/ the SYSTOOLS library objects.

Usually the creation of objects delivered via a PTF would have to be CREATE statement encapsulated in a program object, or the objects themselves restored. If the former, perhaps DSPLIB SYSTOOLS would reveal a program name that can be called to [re]generate the objects; e.g. for the SYSIBM library, there is IIRC, a program QSQSYSIBM for an equivalent re-generate, but that is in QSYS as I recall. Perhaps the PTF ships a similar program with some QSQSYST* naming.? Probably the /objects associated with the PTF/ from the panel presented using the DSPPTF SELECT(SI57427) on an IBM i 7.2 partition would reveal the name of such a program; though if the name of the program has a prefix of QPZ1 instead of QSQ, probably the corresponding IBM i 7.1 PTF needs to be located, the PTF temporarily removed, then re-applied interactively using APY(*IMMED) [instead of applied *DELAYED]. If the APYPTF request fails, then what was the problem for the delayed-apply might be the same issue recorded in the failing joblog.

Another possibility is that the TR9 is a pre-requisite, and that was not yet installed; but that is not the impression I had about the way the fixpacks and Technology Refreshes worked.

And yet another possibility [but quite contrary to other doc references] perhaps the 7.2 _notation_ is accurate, and that the same notation should have been included in the 7.1 docs, or instead that the mention of and link to, the "New IBM i Services" named SYSTOOLS.GROUP_PTF_CURRENCY, should have been deleted from that page of 7.1 docs? That is, perhaps there is not a functional issue regarding what resides in the SYSTOOLS library, perhaps the issue is that there is\are documentation issue(s).? Worth noting however, that there are no PTFs capable of being searched on the web, for which the text GROUP_PTF_CURRENCY appears; i.e. there are only records of such an APAR\PTF existing on v7r2. Huh... more aggressive searching finally led me to APAR SE60131 being origin for both releases... Not sure what the difficulty was... perhaps use of R710 instead of V7R1M0 for the search token?

Ironically, the documentation for SYSTOOLS suggest to get the source from the tools using the Generate SQL DDL; obviously if they are not getting created, that is not possible :-(
[http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/api/content/nl/en-us/ssw_ibm_i_71/rzajq/rzajqsystoolslearn.htm]