On 16-Oct-2015 19:46 -0500, CRPence wrote:
<<SNIP; posit syntax or PTF alternatives to get IDENTITY support>>

A potentially viable alternative, given the prior two are unlikely:

3. Although not allowing the syntax to remain the same for the
column definition [apparently taken\composed from a higher release
on which the coding\testing of the application is apparently being
done]:

Creating an adding a *before insert trigger might be the best
means to mimic the effect; i.e. as a rule of the file, the trigger
maintains that rule, in place of [for lack of] the support by the
database to due that auto-increment. <<SNIP>>

As Charles notes, such an application might have dependencies on IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL(), for which a Roll-Your-Own scalar User Defined Function (UDF) replacement also could be necessary; i.e. the DDL change and trigger by themselves, may not be sufficient to allow the application run-time to remain unchanged, though the function-not-found condition surely would reveal that soon enough :-) The trigger would populate the storage location with the most recently assigned value, and the UDF would merely read that storage location to offer [IIRC, the DEC(31) value] as the RETURN value.