On 10/15/2015 12:29 AM, Nathan Andelin wrote:
I gather that you want to learn more than SEU. But you can certainly start
with SEU.
-snip-
Someone will surely insist on a disclaimer about these being "old" tools -
no longer "strategic" - not being enhanced by IBM anymore ;-)

I see the winky, and strongly suggest it be replaced with 'nota bene'.
It's not a mere technicality that SEU is frozen.

I write fully free RPG. Compiles only in 7.1 and 7.2, which works great
because I only have to worry about my one machine, and that's at 7.2.
The first time one of my SEU-using colleagues opened up one of my
programs he immediately started blaming SEU, broken PTFs, etc, etc, etc.
Because his SEU screen was lit up as green as a radar set in New York
Harbour.

But there aren't any bad PTFs, SEU isn't broken - it's unable to
recognise current level code so it flags it as a syntax error. One can
use SEU and one can change lines of source with it - even the ones
showing as syntax errors. My colleagues have turned syntax checking off
in SEU because they're tired of the headache-inducing screens.

It's all well and good to nudge each other in the ribs over the 'demise'
of SEU but a newcomer needs to understand that using SEU could very well
result in a situation where he thinks /his environment/ is broken, when
in fact it is just the way that SEU is going to work from now on.