That makes sense.

As far as using Putty to tunnel to IBM i over SSH I do this all the time with standard apps such as FTP, Telnet, all the iAccess Servers, the IBM Navigator for i, etc. I'm certain you are familiar with the X11 forwarding setup in Putty which is where I enter all the ports and where to forward them and the IP address to listen on locally. Of course I don't enter the long list there I paste the string into the "PortForwardings" key for my connection using regedit. Once that is in there I have never had to do anything on IBM i for it to work.

You are above my pay grade with the xterm stuff there but I can't imagine this wouldn't work for that as well.

For the tunneling via X11 from one IBM i to another I'm not saying it would or wouldn't work but I'm betting someone out there knows more. Logically it seems it should.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com