LTO7 has been announced.
I'm reviewing all the options.
Appears my current TS3200-3573 ,I can swap out my current 4 LTO5 HH fiber for 4 LTO7 HH fiber.
What should all be considered?

LTO7 possibly requires double the bandwidth of an LTO5.

1) On my Production LPAR, the SSD should be capable of feeding the LTO7, on my R&D LPAR, the LTO7 will be waiting on the 10k spinny.
2) My current 577D can possibly drive 2 LTO5 HH simultaneously, can the 577D adequately drive 2 LTO7 HH simultaneously, may max the 577D out?
From an old PMR, LTO5 drive will use 65% (per IBM support) of the 8 gb bandwith (5.2 gb), leaving only 35% (2.8 gb) for the 2nd drive.
3) Can a Power 7 8205-E6C handle multiple LTO7 simultaneously, or could the GX++ bus possibly be maxed out?
4) Does my Brocade 300 SAN fiber switch, with 8 gb ports, possibly need to be upgraded?
5) What else should be looked at?

Paul



IBM United States Announcement Letters
----------------------------------------
Hardware
----------------------------------------

IBM 7226 Model 1U3 offers new Half-high LTO Ultrium 7 tape drive features to simplify data transfer options with increased storage and compatability

http://www.ibm.com/vrm/newsletter_10577_9003619_300369_email_DYN_1IN/krjdmm37870443

IBM TS2270 SAS Tape Drive Model H7S incorporates IBM Half-High LTO Ultrium 7 tape drive technology for increased performance and reliability

http://www.ibm.com/vrm/newsletter_10577_9003619_300488_email_DYN_1IN/krjdmm37870443

IBM FlashSystem 900 and V9000 deliver enhanced worldwide support

http://www.ibm.com/vrm/newsletter_10577_9003619_300572_email_DYN_1IN/krjdmm37870443

IBM TS3310 Tape Library supports LTO Ultrium 7 for enhanced drive performance

http://www.ibm.com/vrm/newsletter_10577_9003619_300594_email_DYN_1IN/krjdmm37870443

IBM TS3100 and TS3200 tape library models with LTO Ultrium 7 drives deliver increased capacity, performance, and reliability

http://www.ibm.com/vrm/newsletter_10577_9003619_300629_email_DYN_1IN/krjdmm37870443

New IBM FlashSystem V9000 16 Gb Fibre Channel 4-Port Adapter delivers increased connectivity

http://www.ibm.com/vrm/newsletter_10577_9003619_300639_email_DYN_1IN/krjdmm37870443

IBM TS2900 Tape Autoloader supports LTO Ultrium 7 SAS Half-high Tape Drives

http://www.ibm.com/vrm/newsletter_10577_9003619_300816_email_DYN_1IN/krjdmm37870443

IBM SAN Volume Controller and Storwize Family delivers expanded connectivity and enhanced security with encryption

http://www.ibm.com/vrm/newsletter_10577_9003619_300856_email_DYN_1IN/krjdmm37870443

IBM TS3500 Tape Library supports Linear Tape-Open Ultrium 7

http://www.ibm.com/vrm/newsletter_10577_9003619_300862_email_DYN_1IN/krjdmm37870443

IBM Storwize 7.6 Release product portfolio offers new drive options for increased capacity and improved performance

http://www.ibm.com/vrm/newsletter_10577_9003619_300961_email_DYN_1IN/krjdmm37870443

Lenovo Upward
Integration Module for Zenoss has been rebranded to Lenovo XClarity Integrator for Zenoss

http://www.ibm.com/vrm/newsletter_10577_9003619_300969_email_DYN_1IN/krjdmm37870443

IBM TS4500 Tape Library supports LTO Ultrium 7, 18 frames, 128 tape drives, mixed media, and automatic media verification

http://www.ibm.com/vrm/newsletter_10577_9003619_300977_email_DYN_1IN/krjdmm37870443

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2015 12:59 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: LTO 7 availability date

I probably translated 'half again' as 'double'. But still I didn't see that amount of an increase.



Rob Berendt

This thread ...

Follow-Ups:

Follow On AppleNews
Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page

This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2019 by midrange.com and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available on our policy page. If you have questions about this, please contact [javascript protected email address].