Originally IBM recommend specifying the physical...

As I understand it, originally it worked like so:
- if you had a select/omit logical that for example selected records where
myfld=1
- you did a SELECT * FROM MYLF
- the SQE had to examine MYLF and would rewrite(?) the query as SELECT *
FROM MYPF WHERE MYFLD=1.
(or perhaps drop into CQE?)

Anyway there was extra work involved...

Now however, the SQE has advanced such that using a LF isn't detrimental
and could in fact help.

Charles