Roberto,

Interesting solution there. I hope it actually works and in theory it should because all you are doing is correcting the RAID set. Obviously doing anything more than that to those drives is fatal to that system.

As to moving the drives you can move them to and from the CEC if you keep them under the right controllers. If you move them to a newer controller that modifies the striping then yeah that's an issue. It has nothing to do with 4 or 5 or 6 drive disk cages. So long as the drives are connected to the same RAID card it matters not on which port or in which slot they exist. So moving for example from a CEC with 8 drives to a 5095/0595 with 12 slots you can put them anywhere. Exception of course is the load source disk with it's specific rules.

As you also suspect with SAS it's all different. There is no specific spot for the load source but us traditionalists like to keep it on the first drive in the drawer connected to the first port on the RAID card just so we know where the bugger is.

To your questions to about SOP without having another system? Yeah that's a tough one. Either you replace it before you power down, which you had no opportunity to do since it was alive when you powered it down. Or you bonk it to get it going again, which certainly doesn't always work. Or you have a high enough function RAID card that will IPL with the drive dead. Or you move the drives temporarily to another LPAR (which is much the same as you're doing now but without the physical move.) Or you restore from backup. (Ugh!)

I hope it all works out well for yoU!

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com