Rob,

All good points. That's almost a tutorial on what to look out for while
getting ready for and upgrade.

I'll suggest that there is an even simpler root cause why many OEM software
vendors are not ready when IBM is. They don't have an administrator like
yourself on staff that is sophisticated enough to help them with these types
of issues. Several of my customers are software vendors. They hire me to
do the system administration on a retainer so they can do what they do best,
develop software. I worry about the system for them. When it comes time to
perform the upgrade I assist in getting them onto the new version and with
remediation as needed. (all part of the service)

I do have OEM Vendor customers that simply refuse to put up V7R2 because the
customer base is not pushing them for it and they prefer to continue to
invest in the software directly rather than pulling back and doing all the
regression testing etc. needed to put up a new release. One recently
upgraded without knowing it. They requested a new partition for development
and I put it up for them, at V7R2. When I pointed out to them that
everything was fine, they let me upgrade the other partitions as well.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect