On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 10:07 AM, Jeff Young <jyoung0950@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I started this thread with the hope that there might be a way to determine
that all records I was sending were received, by sending one record at a
time.

As several others have noted, this is not the nature of FTP.

It really is designed just to be a simple way to get a (stream) file
from one system to another.

As Rob alluded to, you will get a completion message if the file went
over successfully. That is, if you get that completion message, then
you can be very confident that the file was transmitted correctly and
in its entirety. If you don't get that message, you can be almost
equally confident that the transfer failed in some way. It takes
extraordinary measures to achieve a higher degree of confidence than
that, if FTP is the only tool at your disposal.

So the usual strategy is just to check for that message when the FTP
process terminates. It could be a return value if you're using an
appropriate API; it will certainly be in the log if you elect to log
the session (no reason not to, in my opinion).

Unless the amount of data you're transferring is gigantic, or the
destination or connection to the destination is known to suffer from
intermittent problems, there is also little benefit to splitting up
your data. Under normal circumstances, sending over pieces at a time
will just make the whole process less efficient without gaining much
if any reliability.

John Y.