In the ultimate end, Paul.Roy is correct. Nothing in the OP suggests that
he cannot redesign the table, it reads to me more that he's looking for a
trick to avoid having to do so, and having to recompile everything that
touches the affected tables. Of course it depends on specifics, but the
effort to play hex tricks with the number may take more time to code, test
(and TEST AND TEST) and implement than to just do it the right way.

I am living a similar nightmare right now dealing with Y2K40 in this shop I
started working in a few months ago. They kicked the can down the road
back in the 90's, when they did a half-hearted (yet still significant)
effort on Y2K, and now they're going to pay again, because they failed to
deal with the 1940-2039 window IBM gave us with 2-digit years.

- Dan