Its not clear to me what volumes he is anticipating. If he is at 899,999 now in a file that is 10 years old then he doesn't need base36. That is way overkill. On the other hand, if volumes are such that he is needing base36 then my guess is that he might as well bite the bullet and expand the field, cuz base36 is just a band aid for him.

Properly evaluating anticipated volume is a part of the decision process, much more so than sticking in a base36 solution that will be nothing but a confusing maintenance and design headache going forward.