From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of CRPence
Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 1:59 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Identifing IBM commands that return control before process completes

On 16-Jun-2015 07:19 -0600, Steinmetz, Paul wrote:
Is there a doc or link that would Identify all IBM commands that
return control before process complete? Examples, STRSBS, ENDSBS.

I am finding that if ever coding these commands, a DLYJOB is necessary
if the following command is dependent on the process being completed.

I am unaware of any list for the OS or LPPs.

Coding just a Delay Job (DLYJOB) is... well, daft. Code a procedure
that will wait for the asynchronous effect if waiting is necessary, or
if not possible to wait, then polling to test for the effect using a
short-wait delay-loop. For example, for End Subsystem (ENDSBS) [except
the controlling SBS], the successful completion of an Allocate Object
(ALCOBJ) request against the *SBSD object indicates the
async-End-Request has completed, after which processing would continue
after the Deallocate Object (DLCOBJ) request against that Subsystem
Description (SBSD).

I often wonder if anyone ever submits requests for the ability to
effect a sync-wait on such operations. I am shocked at how often in
discussions people so easily accept hard-coding delays as a /solution/
to an issue with consecutive requests failing, esp. those following
Start TCP/IP services (STRTCPxxx) requests. I would expect a huge
number of "we need something like SYNC() parm to ask the command to wait
until all that was requested to start has actually started."