From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Monday, June 08, 2015 11:48 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: 'green screen' not sellable

Gary,

Open Access is just a tool to help integrate stuff into your RPG code.
Existing programs don't have to be rewritten, you can just pop a HANDLER onto the F-spec, so your EXFMT, READ, WRITE et al will call the handler, and the handler can communicate with a web framework. (Or anything else you've written a handler to communicate with -- web framework is what most everyone uses, though.)

I certainly have NOT found browsers to be vulnerable at all. But, you could potentially write an OA handler that did something different than web if you wanted to try to start a new trend...

The only other alternative that I'm aware of vs. a browser would be something like a thick-client GUI. These aren't the best because they have to be installed/maintained/updated on every PC. And, the default for a thick-client like this is that it has authority to everything the local user has authority to on the PC. Browsers, on the other hand, default to not having authority to anything on the PC aside from a few areas of the browser itself (Javascript variables, local storage,
cookies, and the display... very stricted by comparison to
thick-client having access to the hard drive.)

-SK