From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mark
Murphy/STAR BASE Consulting Inc.
Sent: Monday, June 08, 2015 1:55 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: 'green screen' not sellable

I would give you that if the syntax of modern RPG wasn't so darn close to
the older stuff. Pretty much all the key words and tricky phrases are still
there, just in a different place in some cases. And you don't have to
remember column positions any more. Sure, there are a few differences, but
the reference manuals are free, and they tell you where the differences are.
As far as programmers that aren't using free format RPG 4 go, they fall into
one of just a few categories: their manager won't let them, or they are
unwilling to try anything new. That "we can't get any training" is a smoke
screen because the transition from RPG3 to RPG4 to free form RPG4 just isn't
that hard.

Mark Murphy
STAR BASE Consulting, Inc.
mmurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx