That's up to you. I believe there's two options, at least there is on the
web version "IBM i Navigator" with those choices being either source
physical file or PC file.
For IBM i most people choose source physical file.
IMHO most people do not store the SQL source physical file in the same
schema as the tables. I believe a common practice is to keep it in a
source library.

Now, whether or not you store it in a source physical file named QSQLSRC,
QDDSSRC or whatever is, again, up to you. There are pros and cons to
each. If you have a mix of both SQL and DDS defining your data and if you
keep them all in QDDSSRC then one doesn't have to guess where the source
is. And if you convert from DDS to SQL you are then less likely to have
both versions out there clobbering each other.

Sort of like how some people use QPGMSRC instead of QRPGLESRC, and QCLSRC
and so forth and are less likely to compile a CL program over a rpg
program this way. While other people go into rabid seizures if you do not
use QRPGLESRC and QCLSRC and only an idiot would clobber such because with
10 character names you have an infinite amount of space to describe the
program, and still have a trailing suffix to specify either CL or RPG.
(Although more commonly done PUR500 for RPG and PUR500C for CL.)