They may, or may not be malicious.

First of all, are you using any benevolent hacking? We do. Make sure
it's not that company.

Secondly, 'telnet' is often done to check for various functions. For
example, I used to telnet into people's smtp server to test connectivity.

You're right though, there may be a potential for maliciousness. If you
have an open relay I can telnet into your smtp server (even from an IBM i
command line) and generate a false email coming from a fictitious email
address. If you go to http://www.zmailer.org/mxverify-cgi.html it pretty
much steps you through the process. Well, at least for an experienced
person. Probably not for a raw newbie. But this is mainly an example of
non malicious use.

As far as who to call, well, do you have a lawyer on retainer?
Make any nice contributions to any House or Senate member lately? It's a
small favor to ask just to be directed to the appropriate person.
If you're really desperate, you could always check out the classifieds in
the back of "Soldier of Fortune". But that's a bit extreme. "Disclaimer:
Views expressed in this last statement are for humor only and are
definitely not representative of any employer, organization or any other
group that I have affiliated with past or present."