On 20-May-2015 13:14 -0500, John R. Smith, Jr. wrote:
On 20-May-2015 10:36 -0500, rob wrote:
On 20-May-2015 10:32 -0500, John R. Smith, Jr. wrote:
I need to be able to retrieve the list of Data Areas in a given
library and I was wondering if there is a file in QSYS2 or
somewhere that contains this that I could just query so I didn't
have to dump them to a file via DSPOBJD or use an API every time
I need to run my program.

7.2, right?
<http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_72/rzajq/rzajqudfobjectstat.htm>

Sorry, I neglected to say they are way behind, still on 6.1.

Just to get the names, or ???

If looking for database Sequences that are implemented with the object type *DTAARA, then SYSSEQUENCES catalog VIEW should be available on that release; see <http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/api/content/ssw_ibm_i_61/db2/rbafzcatsysseq.htm>

Even if using OBJECT_STATISTICS Table Function, then the effect is still "an API every time I need to run my program."; the difference being, instead of your code invoking the API, the OS program behind the UDTF is invoking the API, and the results happen to be in the form of what appears to the program to be a TABLE when queried.

There must be plenty of examples coding to the QUSLOBJ or QGYOLOBJ [and maybe even some coding to QusMaterializeContext] APIs that can be easily enough modified to CREATE FUNCTION ... RETURNS TABLE if a UDTF is a desirable interface, in place of Display Object Description (DSPOBJD) to an output file. Of course the List Objects (QUSLOBJ) API also requires an external object, but a *USRSPC instead of a database *FILE into which the results are placed [if that is a strike against DSPOBJD].

http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_61/apis/obj6.htm>
_Object-related APIs_
"...
• List Objects (QUSLOBJ) generates a list of object names and descriptive information based on the specified parameters, similar to the Display Object Description (DSPOBJD) command.

• Materialize Context (QusMaterializeContext) returns either the type and subtype of the object or system pointers for all or for a selected set of objects that are contained by the context.
• Open List of Objects (QGYOLOBJ) generates a list of object names and descriptive information based on specified selection parameters.
..."