Paul: It does not appear that we have TAATOOLS here. At least anything
newer than the V3R0M5 version. (Probably IBM's QUSRTOOL version?)

John: My motivation to do this is that I have to scan about 200 source
members, and there is the likelihood that this will turn into a system-wide
endeavor. (I.e. thousands of source members.)

Kurt mentioned JCRSMLT from JCRCMDS. Getting stuff loaded on our dev box
is such a PITA here, so I reviewed the source code online. It appears that
the option to omit comment lines is limited to RPG, and then only for an
asterisk in column 7 or a '//' in columns 7-8. If anyone knows that I am
wrong about that, please let me know, and I'll review it again.

Roger, Evan: I cross-posted this to WDSC-L, thinking that the iSphere
plug-in for RDi might support something like this. Buck Calabro offered up
a search function using egrep and grep. It all looks Greek to me, although
Buck seems to do a nice job breaking it down for understanding what's going
on.

I wonder if IBM could be persuaded to share the code it uses to validate
code syntax, specifically how it distinguishes between comments and live
code. I would be happy to be able to read an original source member and
have something that dumps only the live code into a new (temporary) member
for further analysis.

If this is a wheel that needs to be invented, I'd be happy to be involved
in an open source project to do it, but from the looks of the regular
expressions using grep / egrep, I'd be more of a cheerleader than a main
contributor.

- Dan