This is how I do the date conversions to date fields.

Case when month between 1 and 12 then date(substr(digits(date_field),1,4) || '-' || substr(digits(date_field),5,2) || '-' || substr(digits(date_field),7,2) )
Else date('2012-12-12')
End

I use the 2012-12-12 to identify records with bad dates. Normally, that does not happen. You could use any date value to identify and error date value.

Sent from my iPad