On 11-May-2015 11:45 -0500, Matt Olson wrote:
It should be a two way street, if IBM i has it then LUW should have
it to.

I don't understand this fragmented DB2 ecosystem. The two separate
development teams should be merged into one and they should stay in
lockstep with each other.

Linux, Unix, and Windows are already /merged/, as that is DB2 LUW. The other DB2 variants, DB2 for z and DB2 for i have entirely different underlying architectures. And for the IBM i anyway, there is an entirely different goal, incompatible with the typical RDBMS concept whereby they are an add-on, because the DB2 for i is _integrated_ as part of the OS.

It's gotta be costing IBM a pretty penny to maintain the two
database platforms separately.

Serving a diverse customer-set is indeed costly; I would not be surprised if all /corporations/ consider how much less they might have to spend creating their products, if only [they could convince everybody that] they all wanted the same thing ;-)

AFaIK there is some level of sharing already, but the sharing of actual source code requires each of the sharing DB2 is written in the same language and the code must be the algorithms fairly decoupled from the underlying services or for which all service-calls have already been made common. What was once the DB2XML toolkit for example, was eventually brought into LUW and I would not be surprised if a lot of that might not be; later the same with DB2 for i. I would not be surprised if the integration into DB2LUW led to sharing with DB2 for i, and if [and probably] not an actual shared code-base, then possibly something quite similar in effect. I am sure sharing the code-base just across LUW is a cost-saving technique; an apparent requirement, to enable competing in a market that seems to expect their RDBMS to be /free/ [except probably AIX] as add-ons.

FWiW, if anyone wants to use DB2 LUW, the system can be partitioned and the LUW variant of DB2 run on either an AIX or a Linux partition; on the same system, despite different partitions. Because they are all DB2, DRDA is available for each as Application Requester (AR) to work with the other as the Application Server (AS).