Oops = meant that for type THREE join types, things get more interesting.

On 5/2/2015 11:22 AM, Vernon Hamberg wrote:
I agree that RTVQMQRY is not the ultimate tool to learn SQL.

But things have changed as to what that command generates.

There used to be a problem that ALL join types were retrieved with WHERE clauses, as you say, and as type 1 JOIN types.

There were PTFs to change that - there are probably supercedes for these -

V5R4 - SI42309
6.1 - SI42345
7.1 - SI42363

At 7.1 I just created a type 2 JOIN *QRYDFN with 3 files. I then ran RTVQMQRY over it.

The SELECT statement used 2 LEFT OUTER JOINs - exactly what I would expect.

For a type 2 JOIN *QRYDFN, things are a little more interesting - they also implement it with 2 LEFT OUTER JOINs, with tests in the WHERE clause for IS NULL on columns in the 2nd and 3rd dial.

That could have been done with EXCEPTION JOINs, I guess - but at least the JOINs are written out as true SQL JOINs.

HTH
Vern