Hi, Nathan:

I think I may be able to shed some light on this ...

When IBM says "the C compiler is no longer required" what they mean is that the customer no longer needs to install e.g. 5722-WDS option 51 (the ILE C compiler) separately, to be able to compile SQL/PL. This is because IBM now ships the program QCZCCPP (the command processing program for CRTCMOD, etc.) as part of the OS, in QSYS, since it is used internally by the SQL/PL compiler, which still generates C source code internally, then invokes QCZCCPP to create a *MODULE that can be bound into a program or service program, as needed. IBM has been shipping a copy of QCZCCPP with OS/400 since at least V5R1 or V5R2, possibly earlier than that.

That copy is not even "the latest" version of the C compiler, but possibly the one for the previous release (*PRV), as far as I can tell, possibly because IBM wants to ship one that is more "stabile" for use by SQL and not the latest one that may be subject to more PTFs / fix activity, etc.

Even if you have installed the ILE C/400 compiler, I do not think the PL/SQL compiler will ever use that one; I think it will always use the copy shipped in QSYS for just this purpose.

HTH,

Mark S. Waterbury

> On 4/29/2015 1:14 PM, Nathan Andelin wrote:
Several people assure this is true. But where are the references? I'm
primarily interested in IBM i references.

Several references for z/OS state that the C compiler is no longer
required, and they differentiate between "native stored procedures" and
"external stored procedures", where only the latter require the C compiler.