Hi Steve

That's good input. I think some of us would still say, it might not be SMB that is the issue.

SMB is a protocol.

QNTC is an implementation of SMB.

Samba is an implementation of SMB.

So the poor performance you report may be due to the implementation, not to the protocol.

Many of us have reported poor performance with QNTC. So IBM have now brought out Samba, and that promises to be faster. Richard actually made a Samba wrapper that performs very well compared to QNTC.

But when I was at RJS, we stopped recommending QNTC and focused on NFS for file transfer, which worked better than QNTC for sending files to a Windows or Linux server.

I believe your statement about SMB being poor over a WAN is better stated as the QNTC implementation is poor over a WAN.

Hope I was making sense!! On a Saturday early!!

Vern