From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 10:55 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: How to determine what version of bind you are running?

I have to really drill down into the 9. numbers.
From our security audit (done by a wholly owned company of IBM) we're
getting dinged hard because of this bind level. The audit report can
determine our level of bind is at BIND 9.7.4-P1.V7R1M0

The following are considered our top critical issues on our security audit
report (again, done by a wholly owned company of IBM):

3.1.1. ISC BIND: Handling of zero length rdata can cause named to terminate
unexpectedly (CVE-2012-1667) (dns-bindcve-
2012-1667)
ISC BIND 9.x before 9.7.6-P1, 9.8.x before 9.8.3-P1, 9.9.x before 9.9.1-P1,
and 9.4-ESV and 9.6-ESV before 9.6-ESV-R7-P1 does not properly handle
resource records with a zero-length RDATA section, which allows remote DNS
servers to cause a denial of service (daemon crash or data corruption) or
obtain sensitive information from process memory via a crafted record.

3.1.2. Obsolete ISC BIND installation (dns-bind-obsolete) ISC BIND versions
before 9.9 are considered obsolete. ISC will not fix security bugs in these
versions (even critical ones).

3.1.3. ISC BIND: Heavy DNSSEC validation load can cause a "bad cache"
assertion failure (CVE-2012-3817) (dns-bindcve-
2012-3817)
ISC BIND 9.4.x, 9.5.x, 9.6.x, and 9.7.x before 9.7.6-P2; 9.8.x before
9.8.3-P2; 9.9.x before 9.9.1-P2; and 9.6-ESV before 9.6-ESV-R7- P2, when
DNSSEC validation is enabled, does not properly initialize the failing-query
cache, which allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (assertion
failure and daemon exit) by sending many queries.

3.1.4. ISC BIND: A specially crafted Resource Record could cause named to
terminate (CVE-2012-4244) (dns-bind-cve-
2012-4244)
ISC BIND 9.x before 9.7.6-P3, 9.8.x before 9.8.3-P3, 9.9.x before 9.9.1-P3,
and 9.4-ESV and 9.6-ESV before 9.6-ESV-R7-P3 allows remote attackers to
cause a denial of service (assertion failure and named daemon exit) via a
query for a long resource record.

3.1.5. ISC BIND: Specially crafted DNS data can cause a lockup in named
(CVE-2012-5166) (dns-bind-cve-2012-5166)
ISC BIND 9.x before 9.7.6-P4, 9.8.x before 9.8.3-P4, 9.9.x before 9.9.1-P4,
and 9.4-ESV and 9.6-ESV before 9.6-ESV-R7-P4 allows remote attackers to
cause a denial of service (named daemon hang) via unspecified combinations
of resource records.

3.1.6. ISC BIND: A specially crafted query can cause BIND to terminate
abnormally (CVE-2013-4854) (dns-bind-cve-
2013-4854)
The RFC 5011 implementation in rdata.c in ISC BIND 9.7.x and 9.8.x before
9.8.5-P2, 9.8.6b1, 9.9.x before 9.9.3-P2, and 9.9.4b1, and DNSco BIND
9.9.3-S1 before 9.9.3-S1-P1 and 9.9.4-S1b1, allows remote attackers to cause
a denial of service (assertion failure and named daemon exit) via a query
with a malformed RDATA section that is not properly handled during
construction of a log message, as exploited in the wild in July 2013.

It's getting to the point where we might dump serving DNS from IBM i.

IBM Certified System Administrator - IBM i 6.1 Group Dekko Dept 1600 Mail
to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E