On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 11:27 AM, <rob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That's not what I'm implying at all.

The whole statement is executed on the client.

I'm afraid I don't understand this. How is that even possible?

Maybe we have a terminology problem. Or maybe I truly do have a
colossal misunderstanding of ODBC/JDBC clients.

My understanding is that the client is doing little more than sending
a string (which hopefully represents a valid SQL statement) to the
server. Maybe it does some syntax checking locally, so as not to
bother with strings that are obviously not going to work. But then
it's up to the server to "do all the work" associated with the
statement.

The STRSQL belief can be easily checked by simply going to the bottom.
That is NOT the issue.

Well, there may be propagation issues for this mailing list, but I
haven't seen anything from the OP to indicate that he's tried going to
the bottom in STRSQL, which would indeed corroborate or deny Vern's
idea.

Also, 600,000 records might simply be too much data. Sending all that
across the network could be what's slow. The OP also mentioned that
sometimes it doesn't seem to complete at all, which strikes me as
possibly a memory issue. As in, the client software can't hold the
whole result set in memory.

John Y.