See this
http://www.provatosys.com/retrieve.html

Charles

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 1:44 PM, <paultherrien@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Would compiling your display file with RSTDSP(*YES) work?
'Assume' works (is needed?), for a display file with window record formats.
'Keep' has always been a nebulous concept to me.

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Mark
Murphy/STAR BASE Consulting Inc.
Sent: Friday, March 06, 2015 1:36 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: How does ASSUME keyword work with DSPSIZ?

I have never used ASSUME or KEEP before, or not that I can recall. So I am
having some difficulties.

I have a display file that contains a window format that I want to use as a
common dialog. I want to be able to call the program from other display
programs, and have the common dialog display on top of the current screen
without the display being blanked first. It seems to me that ASSUME would
fit the bill. The documentation says:

Specify the ASSUME keyword for at least one record format within the
display file so that the IBM i operating system does not erase the
display when the file is opened. In addition, specify the OVERLAY
keyword with the ASSUME keyword to prevent the IBM i operating system
from deleting the display when your program sends the first output
operation
after opening the file.

and

For the IBM i operating system to process the data correctly, your
program must specify the record format name containing this keyword.

Here is my assume record format.

A R ASSUME
A ASSUME
A OVERLAY
A 1 3' '

I am including it in the program, but I do not actually perform any I/O
operations to it. The terminology of that second quote is a bit ambiguous
as
I am specifying it in the program on the INCLUDE keyword, but not in an I/O
operation. Do I need to do an input or output to that record?

Another thing that would be throwing a wrench in the works is the DSPSIZ
keyword since this common dialog should work with both *DS3 and *DS4
displays. I know that the screen is cleared when the display mode changes,
but the ASSUME keyword should prevent that because:

A file with the ASSUME keyword will be opened to the display size of the
file with the KEEP keyword.

Coincidently, the file currently on the screen displays only in *DS4 mode,
and that file (different from the one contain the common dialog) has a
record with the KEEP keyword on it, though once again I am not outputting
the KEPFM record. Do I need to?

A R KEPFM
A KEEP
A OVERLAY
A ERASE(HDRCTL1
-
A )

So displayfile A (has KEEP record in it) is on the screen, I want to
display
a window from display file B (has ASSUME record in it). Display file A has
DSPSIZ(*DS4), display file B has DSPSIZ(*DS3 *DS4). I am hoping for the
window in display file B to overlay the screen from display file A in *DS4
mode, but instead when I display the window, the screen is cleared, and the
window displays in *DS3 mode. Obviously I am missing something. Any ideas
what that might be?

Mark Murphy
STAR BASE Consulting, Inc.
mmurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx