To save the system ( LIC , OS , all libraries , Link , DLO ) you dont have
to have explicity *ALLOBJ authority. Its sufficient for an operator to have
*JOBCTL ( to IPL system with regard to save ) and *SAVSYS ( to save system
without having authority over libraries / directories) to do his save work.

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 7:29 PM, Jim Oberholtzer <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

You don't have to, that's the point behind *SAVSYS.

That said, I always advise my customers to never use IBM supplied profiles
except in very specific cases. Backups are not one of those times. By
creating your own profile to run the backups, backup reporting and
centralize the messages for backups, you'll make your life easier in the
end.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Gord
Hutchinson
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2015 7:21 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: BRMS Authorities

Thanks Jim & Charles.

I could have sworn that at some point years we had problems with QSYSOPR
running the backup and not having authority to libraries in order to save
them. It must have been something else in the process they didn't have
authority too.

I was really loath to give QSYSOPR additional authority.

Gord

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 3:57 PM, Jim Oberholtzer <
midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

I create a user profile called backup and give it *SAVSYS, *JOBCTL,
and *SERVICE (so it can order PTFs if you want to).
Use that profile to start the console monitor job.
Create message queue called BACKUP
Create an output queue called BACKUP
Create a job description called BACKUP and point it to QUSRNOMAX job
queue, and use BACKUP job description and outq.

Schedule the job with user profile BACKUP.
Point your save while active messages at BACKUP message queue.

Now everything is where it needs to be. Don't give QSYSOPR any
authority it does not have from IBM