From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of DrFranken
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2015 11:55 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: SNDPTFORD SF99711 taking excessively long, unneeded secondary languages being downloaded, fixed by CHKPTF *NO to *YES

YMMV, It Depends, personal preference, all apply!

When I'm on Fix Central I see the group number and data and there is a link directly to the cover letter there.

I like to control the name of my downloads. I use the FTP option and I name the current HIPER for example HIPER130 so I know exactly what that image is. I need to know the release so I put that in the directory name
V7R1 for example.

I order up the groups that have changed and a bit later paste one little piece from that email into a script and off they go.

I get a handful of images not a swarm of *SAVFs. I can exclude these images from backups very easily too.

I can look easily in the output logs to see how many files I got and how fast they arrived or if there were errors.

Those files end up exactly where i want them so I can apply to 40 or more LPARS as needed without having to touch them again. The CL that runs at the end sets up all the IMGCLG stuff for me.

Don't need to configure any of the 40 LPARS to handle SNDPTFORD. Nor do I need the disk space on them to hold the PTFs. Application is also very fast as the reads are on another system entirely.

Why would I want all PTFs for all LPARs rather than specific ones for a single LPAR? Because I do ONE download not 40 (or more!)

I Haven't used SNDPTFORD to get more than a couple PTFS in a decade.

So My personal preference is exactly opposite of yours.

By the way we're both right. :-) :-)

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com