Larry,

Thanks for the input.
Here's the link for the performance issue. Search " Including disk units in a parity set"
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_71/rzaly/rzalyincludedpy.htm

Attention: Including disk units into an existing parity set with PCIe2, PCIe3, and newer generations of SAS RAID adapters can result in a large performance degradation. The degradation can occur because the adapter uses firmware in place of specialized hardware assists when drives are included into an existing parity set. For this reason, the Include disk operation is no longer recommended with PCIe2, PCIe3, and newer generations of SAS RAID adapters. Systems with POWER8(tm) technology and beyond do not allow the Include disk operation. Alternatives for adding disk units to the system are to stop parity on the existing set and then start parity with the additional disks in the set, or to create a new parity set of three or more disks with the additional disk units.

As far the life of the EXP24S, this is the only drawer IBM is still supporting on P8.
The newest SSD drives are Gen3, but the EXP24S is only Gen2. I worry that when newer drives appear, EXP24S may not support them.
Why was the EXP30 drawer never made available for the I, I thought that was a nice IO drawer in 1U.

Sue previously mentioned that number of raid sets should always be even. I can see why.
One parity set is primary on each 5913, the second parity set is primary on the 2nd 5913.
In my config, I have each 5913 in a separate 5877 PCI drawer, and each drawer is on a separate GX++ loop, for total redundancy.
If I have a loop, PCI drawer, or 5913 failure, there is a redundant backup.

Parity set optimization for RAID 5 protection
Performance

Parity sets optimized for performance provide the fastest data access. The IOA may generate more parity sets with fewer numbers of disk units. For example, if an IOA had 15 disk units and is optimized for performance, the result might be three parity sets with five disk units each.

When in a dual storage IOA configuration, the system attempts to create an even number of parity sets. An even number of parity sets distributes the workload evenly between a pair of adapters which are in a dual storage IOA configuration. This provides the fastest data access since each adapter has a piece of the workload.

If I went with 775 SSD, losing 2 units to parity.
12 775 SSD, DASD% from 2844 to 10,850, Cost 12 x 6200 = $74,400.
8 775 SSD, DASD% from 2844 to 4650, Cost 8 x 6200 = $49,600.

When redoing, I would consider hot spare, Sue previously mentioned you only need 1 per drawer, not per parity set.

Note: The hot spare disk units are not designated to any particular parity set. The hot spare disk unit protects the first failed disk unit that has parity protection, is the appropriate capacity for the hot spare disk unit, and is under the same IOA as the hot spare disk unit.

Paul