I'm getting a quote for a Power8 S824 config, comparing numbers to renewing maint on current P7 740 E6C.

I realize I may not be able to configure my 4 LPARS as I do currently, dedicated hardware for each.
For R&D LPAR, It will be hard to cost justify 100% SSD for R&D, majority of this is cold data.
I'm considering one LPAR for all the hardware, then hosting the 4 LPARS.
I haven't ruled out VIOS, but I don't think I have the number of LPARS to justify and I don't want the VIOS issues recently posted.

Current Production LPAR
100% SSD 18-1794 177 gb ; paired 5913 -2 Raid5, no hot spare, 2.85 tb.
5767 1Gb Ethernet UTP 2Port
5735 8 Gigabit PCI Express Dual Port Port Fibre Channel Adapter- to LTO5 3573 tape library via FC switch
2893 PCIe 2-Line WAN w/Modem
Current R&D LPAR is 100% 10K 24-1962 571 gb ; paired 5913 - 2 Raid5, no hot spare, 12.57 tb.
5767 1Gb Ethernet UTP 2Port
5735 8 Gigabit PCI Express Dual Port Port Fibre Channel Adapter- to LTO5 3573 tape library via FC switch
Current Upgrade LPAR is 100% 10K 8-1916 gb ; integrated paired 57CB - 1 Raid5, no hot spare, 4 tb
Current DSLO LPAR hosted from UPGRADE LPAR.

I'm considering
EPXE - 2 S824 6-core (3.89 Ghz)
EJOP - Storage backplane option 3 , with optional EJTM SSD cage.
256 GB mem, possibly 512 GB

Questions, Notes and issues.
1) Production has high demand on IO, must configure this for max performance
2) What are the largest SSF-3 SSD drive (max 18) that can be placed in the CEC with EJ08 Storage backplane option 3?
3) What are the largest 1.8-inch SSD (max 8) that can be placed in the SSD Cage EJTM?
4) The internal SATA DVD-RAM (#5771) is controlled by internal SAS controller, so it cannot be DLPAR. Do I need a 2nd DVD-RAM?
5) Is the Power8 EXP24S the same as the Power 7 EXP24S? I currently have 2 EXP24S (5887-1) from Power7 - Should I consider moving 1 or both with DASD to Power8? One is 100% SSD, the other 10K.
6) One negative with using the integrated SAS controllers. How much weight should I put on this. Consider using 5913 or other?
SAS bays and storage backplane options
Unlike the hot plug PCIe slots and SAS bays, concurrent maintenance is not
available for the integrated SAS controllers. Scheduled downtime is required if a
service action is required for these integrated resources.
7) For tape, staying with FC, considering upgrading 3573 LTO5 to LTO6 or soon TBA LTO7. Will consider other options.
8) For tape, if I go the hosted route, would I need one FC adapter, is this correct? Can this be used by all 4 LPARS simultaneously? If not, I will need multiple adapters?
9) Should I consider the soon TBA PCI expansion drawer to be part of this config, replacing my current 2 5877?

Thank You
_____
Paul Steinmetz
IBM i Systems Administrator