Here's one gotcha that burned us repeatedly. Let's say you have a system
called WindowsServer. It has a share called IBMI. It also has a share
called MyNameExceedsALowNumberOfCharacters. Even if you are only going to
the share IBMI from your IBM i just the fact that such a long named share
exists will cause serious issues, sporadically. Yee haw! Documented
issue for both IBM i and IBM z.
That was the biggest reason we moved to NFS.
Workaround was to create a different server and break legs of anyone who
built a big share name on it. Sure, we broke the legs but they got to
keep their new share so we had to do it over again.
Go NFS.