Pay attention to the needs of the users is very important.

If you "modernize" their order entry app so it looks pretty they will hate you because it will be slower than 5250.

HR and other people will be happy because your modernized app will make more sense to the college graduates they are interviewing and they can replace Blanche in accounting.