Thanks Bryan...I checked and that was the option that was already selected.

This is some kind of weird CCSID mismatch issue. I was also having issues logging in using SSH because all I got was garbage like so:

-bsh: ñK÷Kñöa^M%ÑÁåÁmÈÖÔÅ~aØÖ
⨢aØÉÂÔa×
Ä£aÑ¥åÔa
öòöaóò£^M%
§£@×ÁãÈ@ÑÁåÁmÈÖÔÅ^M%: not found
-bsh: {Zaa¢^M%×ÁãÈ~a¤¢azKzaØÖ
⨢a¤¢aza¤¢aa¤¨: not found

When I deleted the .profile file, all was well. So I recreated it using EDTF and all I got was the garbage again in SSH. So, I deleted the .profile file again and then logged in using SSH and used vi to create the .profile file. THAT .profile worked like a charm in SSH and QP2TERM but when I use QSHELL now I get a similar message there:

qsh: 001-0049 Syntax error on line 1: token end of file not expected, expecting token "`".

When I use EDTF to edit the .profile file created with vi, I now get an error:

Message ID . . . . . . : CPDB609
Date sent . . . . . . : 10/28/14 Time sent . . . . . . : 09:14:30

Message . . . . : File CCSID not valid.

Cause . . . . . : The file Coded Character Set Identifier (CCSID) was 00037,
but the data in the file looks like ASCII. A CCSID of 00819 is being used.
Recovery . . . : If another CCSID is needed, use F15 to change to the
desired CCSID.

And yes, the system/job CCSID is 37 and the CCSID on the .profile is 00819

So it seems I can satisfy either SSH OR QSHELL but not both. I am sure that it is a CCSID issue but I am not quite sure how to fix it. Right now I am sticking with SSH and QP2TERM but I'd love to know why I can't get the .profile CCSID set so both environments are happy with it.

Pete