Thanks
Jeff Tickner
Arcad Software

date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 10:20:16 -0400
from: "John R. Smith, Jr." <smith5646@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: Can I use DDS to create an SQL table name

I'm confused.

"I would expect CM system to be able to handle this. I know Aldon does. I check out a DDS PF object, change it DDL *TABLE and promote it back."

Don't you have to convert the DDS to DDL to do this (or am I confused on what DDL is)? That would be the waste of time.

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Charles Wilt
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 10:02 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Can I use DDS to create an SQL table name

Just wanted to address a couple of points

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 7:10 AM, Henrik R?tzou <hr@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Besides that there are tons of DDS out there and converting these to
DDL is not only a waste of time but may also interfere with existing
Change Management systems.

?I would expect CM system to be able to handle this. I know Aldon does. I check out a DDS PF object, change it DDL *TABLE? and promote it back. No issues. Just like I can check out a OPM RPG III object and convert it to an ILE RPG IV *MODULE or *PGM object.

I have looked into making a Data Definition/Change Management system
based on DDL and that is far more complicated than initial meets the
eye because the structure of SQL where columns and its properties
can't be defined in a single statement and SQL doesn't have the
automatization level that DDS/CHGPF (that implement all changes to a DB object in one command) has.

?Again, a smart enough CM can handle this. Aldon checks to see rather or not it can use CHGPF or ALTER TABLE before resorting to recreating the file or table.?