More info uncovered...

It's not the OPNQRYF generating the message (misleading info from client).

It's a job that is trying to reorganize a physical file (to squeeze out deleted records) and first creates a journal and receiver, starts journaling the file to that new journal,
executes the rgzpfm command, then stops journaling and removes the journal and receiver.
It presumably does this because the file is still being updated when the rgzpfm is executed and it's desirable that the reorg can be optionally cancelled.

So, it IS the journaling feature that is causing the license warning message.

I've asked the client to check with IBM about the license entitlement and whether it's been applied correctly (I think it's possible to apply a license but mess up the number of users).

Bottom line, thanks for all responses and advice.

Best Regards,

Thomas Garvey
<www.unpath.com>