Hi Kevin!

Thanks for your response.

I'm located in Holland, so if I'm correct on the other side of the North Sea :)

I've really tried a LOT of combinations: WinXP, Win2000, WinNT, with Client access V6R1, V5R4...but no luck.
I can see the Windows machine setting up a connection (a VM in my case, as my laptop has a 64-bit OS, which doesn't support the Ops Console software modem), it even shows send AND received bytes, but it just stays at 'connecting...' and no console screen shows up.

The 170 shows the right SRC (can't recall exactly, it ends with ..66, which means that the console is found and active), and when I dis/reconnect the operations console I hear some activity on the 170, so it seems to notice what I'm doing.

Also, if I use PuTTY and blind-type 'NEGOTIATE 1' it comes back with the connected speed (115200), so apparently the link itself works. I'm baffled however why the console doesn't come up.

BTW I'm also using an USB-to-serial converter, the internal port on my laptop seems a bit flaky :)

If you don't mind parting with the 4-port brick I'd really appreciate it (the 8-port variant has a different connector I noticed, and won't fit the 2720). Just tell me how much it'll cost to ship it :)

If you have some good suggestions I can try the direct connection again, but I feel I've exhausted my option.
Seems strange that for such a robust and stable system like the AS/400 they designed such a finicky system like the direct connection cable...

BTW the 170 is running V4R5 (AFAIK), so LAN console isn't an option...which is a shame, as it works brilliantly on my 800 :)

Regards,

Rene.