I spoke to fedex tech support yesterday. They said my options are the
fedex server or fedex ship manager. FedEx web services, I was told, was
for linking your web site with the fedex web site. Kind of like web
services are for tracking a package where as ship manager and server are
for creating the shipment.

And then after thinking about the problem I kind of question what I am
looking for. In the example where we pack 10 shipper cartons and bring
them to the shipping station the only reason they should be printing 10
labels at the same time is when the cartons are all the same weight ( and
presumably have the same contents ). Where it does not really matter which
carton gets what shipping label. And in the case where we have multiple
shippers with different contents the only fool proof way of knowing which
carton has which tracking number is to scan them after the label is put on
the carton.

-Steve