Good point - John could also try changing his job to CCSID(37) and the value should show up without casting, right?

On 8/5/2014 8:08 AM, DeLong, Eric wrote:
John, can you check your system QCCSID value? You probably do not want 65535...

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad

"John R. Smith, Jr." <smith5646@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am trying to retrieve column information for a file using SQL. The file
was created using DDS and has TEXT values as shown below. However, when the
below sql statement on a V7.1 machine, it returns garbage / unprintable
characters but it works on a V6.1 machine. Is the V7.1 machine missing a
PTF or something or what is different between V6.1 and V7.1?

==> Here is the DDS

R RTEST

FIELD1 10 TEXT('FIELD1')

==> Here is the SQL statement

SELECT SYSTEM_TABLE_NAME, SYSTEM_COLUMN_NAME, COLUMN_TEXT FROM SYSCOLUMNS
WHERE SYSTEM_TABLE_NAME = 'TESTPF'

==> Here are the results of the SQL on a V7.1 machine.

SYSTEM_TABLE_NAME SYSTEM_COLUMN_NAME COLUMN_TEXT

TESTPF FIELD1 ã ñ á < à

==> Here are the results of the SQL on a V6.1 machine.

SYSTEM_TABLE_NAME SYSTEM_COLUMN_NAME COLUMN_TEXT

TESTPF FIELD1 FIELD1