Actually, I used wrong term on network address. Where the i is currently,
the LAN console (and one of the i's network cards) in on 172.16.x.x. The
other card is 10.x.x.x, which is what the other building is on. That may
or may not matter. The walking part would. Just seems so much like that
manual I downloaded had stated somewhere that IP address was important.
Exact wording was what memory clobbered. If I can find the manual I
downloaded and find where I read about addressing, it would be helpful. I
miss printed manuals. I can't even remember if the PDF was one of those
oddball manuals where pages were formatted for landscape.

Years ago, console (and line printer) were in what was called the "computer
room". Printer was booted out when server manager complained that filters
were getting paper dust on them. I guess it is better to have filters that
never need to be cleaned. LAN console went with printer, which made forms
changes better. They are in a room right next to "server room" (retitled
now). But getting from where they are to "server room" door still takes
maybe 20 seconds. Line printer has not been used in a very long time
(years). Last use was for statements, and they weren't even removed.

Last battery replacement was scheduled by now gone sa. I saw CE and he
showed me the new battery. Doesn't sound like the time to learn about the
replacement process to me. I am thinking if the uppers are dead set on
dropping hardware maintenance and still using the machine, that they should
at least delay that until the known issue of battery replacement is past.
This will likely be the last battery replacement before permanent
shutdown. But, doesn't dropping of hardware maintenance almost guarantee a
hardware failure? Particularly on older hardware?

John McKee

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 7:32 AM, Jim Oberholtzer <