On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 8:00 AM, Jim Oberholtzer
<midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Remember MySQL is an open source project that has its roots
in Linux where the system admins and developers have a different
mindset than we do with IBM i.

Not sure you know this, but my background is not IBM i. All of my
formal education was on Unix, and all of my informal education and
self-teaching has been on various personal computers (starting back in
the Apple/Atari/Commodore days). I even have a few modest
contributions to open-source projects. I assure you, I do not have an
"IBM i mindset", whatever you believe that might be.

In fact, I would argue that *database-oriented* users and
administrators have a different mindset than developers at large, and
in that sense, the MySQL community, the SQL Server community, the
Oracle community, and the IBM i community ALL have a much more similar
mindset to each other than to, for example, folks on any platform who
develop language compilers or programmer productivity tools.

The rest of your post seems to be aimed at helping someone find out
about and work with MySQL, which is nice, I guess, but highly non
sequitur if directed at me. My post was entirely an off-hand response
to what I perceive as ill-conceived or misused terminology. Perhaps
you meant it for someone else, such as the originator of the thread?

Anyway, I've now taken a quick look at the on-line MySQL documentation
mentioned by the OP, and it seems that the MySQL folks use "safe" (at
least by intention) in a way that is consistent with most people's
intuition (including mine and I'll bet most Linux users and IBM i
users):

"mysqld_safe is the recommended way to start a mysqld server on Unix
and NetWare. mysqld_safe adds some safety features such as restarting
the server when an error occurs and logging runtime information to an
error log file."

Note the phrase "adds some safety features". Meaning that the
*intention* is that using mysqld_safe is safer than not using it; NOT
that using it "requires more safety" than not using it. And I don't
see anything at all about authentication. I'm in the same boat as Tim
Clark as to wondering what logging and server restarting have to do
with authentication. Are you saying that the documentation is
misleading and/or oversimplified?

John Y.