On 13-Jun-2014 15:16 -0500, Steinmetz, Paul wrote:
Can the destination volume be obtained from the BRM1553 message?
In the example below, 001012.

Message ID . . : BRM1553 Severity . . . : 10
Job: BRMS User: PAULS Number: 921257
Date sent . . . . . : 6/12/14 Time sent . . . : 10:26:32
Program . . . . . . : q1aDuplica Area . . . . . . : *MED
Message . : Data has been moved from the source to destination
media.
Cause . . : Data has been moved from media 001041 to media 001012.

The /message data/ layout is defined by the Format (FMT) specification on the Add Message Description (ADDMSGD). The Display Message Description (DSPMSGD) will reveal each /replacement variable/ to map the storage to match that defined MsgDta layout; see "2=Display Field Data if using displayed output" for the definition of the FMT() information. If the DSPMSGD BRM1553 MSGF(_theBRMSmsgf_) shows that the "Cause" text is "... from media &3 to media &2." [see "1=Display Message Text" if using displayed output], that would signify that the replacement data '001012' [shown in the quoted replied-to message] came from the _second_ FMT() element [that appeared as "&2" in the Field Data].

Accessing that data depends on where the message is. The message needs to be /received/ or accessed by whatever other means. Whence the message information was obtained was not clarified; e.g. the data could be in a program message queue, in an external message queue [ a *MSGQ object], or in a log [file] such as QHST. Arguably, whatever interface gave that expanded message text [with variable data replacement complete], the data is available in that form, but locating that data requires either assuming a fixed-format or parsing the string; neither of those are /good/ ideas.