On 6/10/2014 11:04 AM, Nathan Andelin wrote:
Buck,

It sounds like you're caught between "a rock and a hard place"; either way
you turn, the prospects don't look good. If I understand correctly,
corporate legal will not allow you to run HTTP workloads on your IBM i
server (that's the rock). But if IBM i is never used for Web workloads -
the platform will likely fade into irrelevance (that's the hard place).

Well put.

If I were in your position, I would try to "reason" with corporate legal.

Legal wants to see precedent set by others in our line of business
before they'll consider becoming more... liberal.

IBM i too good of an application server to be relegated to only database
workloads.

I think our P7 is under utilised and would love to see more work running
on it.

While PCI compliance is relevant - my gut feel is that more folks may be
partitioning their servers for other reasons, which we have not discussed.

Could be. I myself would love to have a completely isolated test
partition where I can use library lists that are exactly the same as
production library lists, user profiles secured the exact same way as
production user profiles, and so on.
--buck