We're contemplating upgrading one of our products to accommodate QPWDLVL 2-3. As I recall, I did some experimentation on that very thing, some years ago, and may have even worked out the basics of a way to do it, but I haven't yet done anything practical with it.

Something I don't get about the QPWDLVL values, as explained (and I use that word advisedly) by IBM.

"QPWDLVL 2 [and 3] cannot be used if your system communicates with other System i platforms . . . with either a QPWDLVL value of 0 or 1 or an operating system release less than V5R1M0"

Communicates in what way?

Our intersystem communication is limited to Telnet and FTP, and nothing we do involves the arcane sorcery known as (if I remember right) "password substitution"; why would Telnet or FTP care what the password level is on the system they're communicating with?

*****

Tuesday, I brought up an issue with running Tomcat in a subsystem: it seems that one customer tried it, and the performance degraded significantly. I asked for insights; so far, nobody has offered any, and I have none of my own. Given that Tomcat is implemented in Java, I just reposted to the Java List.

--
JHHL