Victor

Even though the 2540 is in the list - almost eveything is "N"  (NO)
The only "Y" is the Host Based and that means the paragraph about the limits of host based printers applies (and not really supported).

Since you didn't post the details of what's been tried, can we assume the following:
a. The printer is set to use HP PCL 3 GUI
b. you created an iSeries Access printer definition using HPT=no and Not use a PDT ( in the File>Printer Setup>
where you select the attached printer.

HP Deskjet 2540 All-in-One HP PCL3 GUI Y n/a *LEXMARKC
*HP520 N N N N
PCL (HP Apps/UPD) N hppcl5.pdt
HPLJ4.PDT *LEXMARKC
*HP1600C ? ? ? ?
URF (AirPrint) N n/a n/a N N N N

So try this - change the printer to use the PCL (HP Apps/UPD) stream instead of HP PCL3 GUI.

Now two options - I'd try HPT first and the HP1600C mfrtypmdl
                  if not, undo that, and try PDT hppcl5.pdt

Jim