On 24-Mar-2014 09:20 -0700, Dave Boettcher wrote:
<<SNIP>>
The only difficulty I had was that the F keys on the Mac are
pre-coded to perform certain functions. e.g. F4 didn't prompt a
command, it did what Mac wanted it to do - something called LaunchPad
which brings up a menu of applications. I worked around it by using a
? before the command I wanted to prompt.

The effect of an F-key instead of the Mac function, is achieved using the fn+F-key; wherein the "fn" key acts similar to a shift, whereby that key is held down, and while being held, the desired F-key is pressed. No system preferences change is required,

And just now, Google told me there is a system preference on Mac to
use F keys as standard function keys. <<SNIP>>

What I had used to override the requirement to use the "fn" key in combination with an F-Key, i.e. to effect the desired F-key action without pressing the "fn", was the following navigation:

System-Preferences->Keyboard->Keyboard_tab->checkbox:Use_all_Fkeys

After that preference change is in effect, thus causing the F-Keys to act as F-keys instead of the performing the function depicted on the icon presented beside the F-Key name, to achieve what the function key would have done by default, since requires the use of the "fn" in combination with the chosen F-key. That is, the requirement to use the "fn" is effectively the inverse.