From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 1:05 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: BRMS And VTL

We only load up our tape library once a week. Yet we remove our tapes daily. On the day that we load up our tapes we fill our 18 I/O slots and then run ADDMLMBRM MLB(TAPKVL01) ADDVOL(*NO) This moves the tapes from the I/O slots and also puts them into the proper state.
We repeat as necessary. (We can't fit a weeks worth with only 18 I/O slots - five lpars use this.) When that is done we run WRKMEDBRM LOC(TAPKVL01) SYSNAME(*ALL) and ensure that they are truly expired tapes, and not flagged as *ERR. Then we run STRBALBRM ACTION(*BALANCE) MEDCLS(ULTRIUM4) LOC(TAPKVL01).
STRBALBRM MEDCLS(ULTRIUM4) LOC(TAPKVL01)

Now, I've heard excellent people, whom I highly respect, say you need to run commands like WRKTAPCTG and SETTAPCGY. It often goes months before I ever have to use these commands now that I do everything with BRMS. Back when I had the tape library, and fought BRMS I ended up using those commands daily. Now I only use them if something has really gone haywire with the tape library.

But the command you're looking for is probably that ADDMLMBRM.

Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755